Skip to main content

....

Liberian born Skincare Mogul, Richelieu Dennis, Acquires Essence Magazine


Popular female targeted fashion and pop culture magazine, Essence, has been acquired by Liberian business man, Richelieu Dennis, from Time Inc. In my opinion, the deal is one that encouraged the  elevation of black women to own a seat at the table.

Richelieu is the founder of beauty and skin-care firm Sundial Brands. Sundai is the  parent company of popular brand, "Shea Moisture".

He however sold control of the skincare firm to  Unilever in November but remains its CEO.

Time Inc. initially acquired 49 percent stake in the 48 year old magazine in 2000 from founder Ed Lewis and purchased the remaining 51 percent in 2005.

While ESSENCE President Michelle Ebanks will continue at the helm of the company, the all Black female executive team of the magazine will have an equity stake in the business.

According to Richelieu Dennis, the acquisition of the magazine serves as an avenue for "women leading the business to also be partners in the business".
“The strategic vision and leadership that Michelle has provided to ESSENCE over the years have been exemplary, and we are thrilled to work with her and her talented team to provide the necessary resources and support to continue to grow the engagement and influence of the ESSENCE brand and transform this business".
“As importantly, we are excited to be able to return this culturally relevant and historically significant platform to ownership by the people and the consumers whom it serves and offer new opportunities for the women leading the business to also be partners in the business.”
Michelle Ebanks revealed the deal represents the elevation of "Black women to co-ownership positions”.............
“This acquisition of ESSENCE represents the beginning of an exciting transformation of our iconic brand as it evolves to serve the needs and interests of multigenerational Black women around the world in an even more elevated and comprehensive way across print, digital, e-commerce and experiential platforms,” said Ebanks. “In addition, it represents a critical recognition, centering and elevation of the Black women running the business from solely a leadership position to a co-ownership position.”

Comments

Follow Us

                                  






Popular posts from this blog

Iyanya vs Ubi Franklin........Lessons to be Learned and Why Partnerships Hardly Work in Nigeria

Once upon a time Made Men Music Group (MMMG) was one of the biggest music labels in Nigeria and their star act was former reality star and singer, Iyanya. Coincidentally, he was one of the hottest exports at the peak of his career and was the favorite among the ladies; a key demographic in music. Fast forward and a few years later; he left the label for Don Jazzy's Mavins label. When he made the move

Fenty May have Out sold Kylie Cosmetics, But Kylie Will Always Make More Than Rihanna...Here is Why

  When news filtered a few days back that Kylie Jenner is now a billionaire , most people were not shocked. This is because there had been projections that her main source of income, Kylie Cosmetics, will soon be worth a $1b after valuation. Naturally people were curious as to who held the number one spot as the youngest billionaire before her. It turns it out was Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg . At age 23,  was the youngest billionaire in the world. This is not the only comparison people made. People also compared her with her biggest rival in the cosmetics market, Rihanna’s Fenty. The comparison is not exactly uncalled for as they both cater to the same demographic and they both have similar products. Most people noticed

Lagos Court Orders Arrest of Nollywood Actress, Monalisa Chinda Over Tax Evasion

  Reports have it that a warrant for the arrest of Nollywood actress and producer, Monalisa Chinda Coker , by the Lagos state government has been issued. Her production company, Monalisa Code Productions is said to have evaded payment of taxes for about 6 years. According to the NationOnline ....... Justice Adedayo Akintoye made the order on January 21, following an application by the Lagos State Ministry of Justice, alleging that Coker had repeatedly failed to honor a court summons. The application